The sufferer may not be so badly affected but snoring has been known to cause such discord that couples end up getting divorced. The habitual and heavy snoring can lead to Sleep Apnea that may be fatal if not treated early.
WHY does one snore?
When air flow through the mouth and nose is obstructed or forced into a narrow path, the sound that ensues is called snoring.
WHAT obstructs air flow?
Any obstruction of the nasal pathway can cause snoring such as poor muscle tone of the throat and tongue that causes the muscles to relax too much, get floppy and collapse onto the airway. Bulky throat tissue, such as large tonsils and adenoids too has the same effect. A long soft palate or a long uvula that vibrate too much may also cause snoring.
ANY OTHER CAUSES?
Nasal allergies such as sinus infection or deformities of the nose such as a deviated septum and nasal polyps can also cause a person to snore.
HOW to stop the snoring?
If you or your partner is snoring heavily, try these simple tips:
- Sleep on side -Sleeping on your back relaxes the flesh too much and causes it to block the air passage.
- Elevate the head of your bed - Elevation of the head removes the blockage of the air passage.
- Limit alcohol and medications - Both can increase the relaxation of the muscles and cause it to go floppy.
- Clear your nasal passages - Clear air passage means unobstructed breathing.
- Lose weight - Being out of shape cause fatty tissue build-up and poor muscle tone that snoring can cause snoring.
So, if none of these tips are helping, please consult a doctor as there may be a serious underlying health problem.